If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I think of this as a perfect winter salad. Creamy kabocha squash adds heft and comfort to the dish, while a tart vinaigrette and pomegranate seeds liven it. You can serve it as a denser appetizer, or as a light meal. - Gena Hamshaw
- 1 Large bunch curly kale, stems removed and discarded, torn into bite sized pieces, washed, and spun dry
- 1 Small kabocha squash (Japanese pumpkin), halved and seeded and cut into 1.5 inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons Olive oil, divided into 1 tbsp and 3 tbsp
- 3/4 cup Pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup Skinned hazelnuts
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Toss the squash in 1 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper on a baking sheet. Roast for 30-35 minutes, or until golden, stopping halfway through to stir.
- While squash is roasting, place the hazelnuts in a shallow baking dish (or a pie pan) and toast in the oven for 4-6 minutes, or until they are golden. Check them frequently and remove them the moment they start to get brown. Once they've cooled a little, chop them roughly and set aside.
- Whisk together the remaining olive oil, mustard, lemon, maple syrup, sea salt, and pepper. Pour 3 tbsp over the kale to begin with, and "massage" the kale well with your hands, till it's coated in the dressing and taking on a soft, almost wilted texture. Add the remaining dressing as needed and according to tastes. Add pomegranate seeds and hazelnuts.
- Once the squash has finished cooking and has cooled for 10-15 minutes, add it to the salad and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Take Summer Food Inside
11 DIY projects to make when it's too hot to go outside.
Cool Eats for Hot Days
Anna Jones Loves Vegetables
Italian Breakfast Buns
The Daily Grind
Bold and brewtiful coffee.