Author Notes: Leeks are the perfect compliment to squash blossoms. I like to make this simple frittata for a late summer supper. Inspired by Julee Rosso's Great Good Food. - avimom
- 3 small leeks, washed, halved, and sliced into ribbons
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 small, skinny zucchini, halved and sliced thinly
- 2 small carrots or parsnips, grated
- 2-3 sundried tomatoes, minced
- Saute all but the tomatoes briefly in hot olive oil, just until the leeks are golden and translucent. Mix in the tomatoes and remove from heat.
- Lightly oil a glass pie dish. Add the leek mixture and spread evenly over the bottom of the dish.
- 4 egg whites
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 7-8 squash blossoms, washed and dried, pistons and stems removed
- 1 handful fresh chives, minced
- Beat the eggs well and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the leek mixture in the pie dish.
- Arrange the blossom over the top of the eggs and leeks, pushing them down gently into the eggs, but not submerging them. Sprinkle chives over the top.
- Bake in 350 degree oven until eggs are set.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Leeks