Author Notes: This satisfying, tasty stew could not be easier to make or easier on your pocket. We love to make a big batch, as it only gets better the longer it sits (and it couldn't be better for you!). If you're not 100% vegan, eat with some grated parmesan. - Weird & Ravenous
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for serving
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 pinch red chili flakes
- Coarse salt
- One 14-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- One 14-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch kale, washed and stems discarded
- Small handful fresh basil
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot set over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, chili and a pinch of coarse salt. Cook, stirring now and then, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the kale and set it aside.
- Stir in the tomatoes, breaking them up with your spoon, along with a can of water, the beans and the chopped kale. Bring the stew to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for an hour. The kale should be completely soft.
- Serve each portion with a drizzle of olive oil and a few basil leaves torn over the top.