If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: An excellent winter soup.The smoked ham is an essential element because it gives the soup that smoky taste.My grand mother uses thick slices of smoked ham.She sometimes fries dices of ham with the dices of bread and tops everything onto the soup. - MarieGlobetrotter
- 2 cups slit peas
- 1 small ham hock
- 150 g thick slices of smoked ham
- 4 leeks
- 4 onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 3 sprigs Thyme
- Bay leave
- 2,5L water
- 4 slices of thick bread
- Cut the onion and cook it in butter in a pot. Add the celery, lard, leek, ham hock and slices of smoked ham
- Add the 2,5L of water, thyme, bay leave and add pepper to taste. Do not add salt because there is enough salt in the meat already.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 1 1/2hr.
- In the mean time, cut the bread into dices and fry the in olive oil. Dry with a towel and set aside
- Take the ham and smoked ham, ham hock, thyme and bay leave out of the soup. Blend the soup in a blender
- Cut the some smoked ham and ham hock into bite size pieces, put back in soup. When you serve the soup, top with bread croutons.
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.