Author Notes: Every Christmas Day I look forward to my Mom's Baccala Salad. It's delicious -- salty and spicy in all the right ways. It's also a nice light way to start the festive meal which is followed by spinach lasagne and a meat course. The dressing you can make your own by adding as little or as much of the things you enjoy. I happen to like extra hot peppers on mine! - jvcooks
- 4-5 pounds piece of salt cod
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh lemon
- cherry peppers
- pepperoncini peppers
- celery stalks with leaves, chopped
- Moroccan oil-cured black olives
- gaeta olives
- freshly ground black pepper
- flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Soak dry salt cod in cold water for 4 days in the refrigerator. Change the water two times a day.
- When the cod has soaked for 4 days, rinse and cut into large chunks. Place the chunks of cod into a pot and cover with cold water. Bring up to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until the cod starts to flake. Be careful not to over cook.
- Rinse the cooked cod under cold water and break into bite size pieces.
- As you can see there are no measurements for the dressing. Use as little or as much of the ingredients based on you tastes.
- Garnish with anchovies and parsley.