Author Notes:  This dish will need salt and pepper. Because of all the salty variables (type of sausage, cheese, stock) there is no set amount I recommend. Be sure to season after all the ingredients have been combined.  This recipe freezes great! To reheat pasta from the freezer: Allow pasta to defrost in the refrigerated as long as possible. Cover pasta with foil and bake in a 350º oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes. Insert butter knife into the center of the pasta to test for doneness. If the inserted portion of the knife comes out hot = the center is hot! - joannE.
Pumpkin Ziti Alfredo
- 1 pound Ziti
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 pound Sweet Italian Sausage, removed from casings
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, small dice
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 15 ounces Pumpkin Puree
- 1 1/5 cup Chicken Stock
- 1/4 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 cups Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Sage Leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Marjoram, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and grease 13"x9" baking pan
- In a large saucepan bring 4-5 quarts (*4 cups in a quart) of water and 4 Tbs of salt to a boil. Add pasta and cooks for 6-8 minutes (2 minutes less then the instructions indicate). Pasta should be a little undercooked; it will finish cooking in the sauce. Drain and rinse with cold water immediately
- Heat Olive Oil in a medium saucepan over med-high heat, add Sausage. Once sausage is fully cooked and browned remove from pan and set aside. Using the remaining oil in the pan, sauté onions until translucent.
- Reduce heat and add garlic, cook for 1 more minute. Stir in Pumpkin Puree, Chicken Stock, Red Pepper Flakes, Cinnamon and Nutmeg until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Bring to boil then cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in heavy cream and 1 cup Parmesan Cheese. Season with Salt & Pepper!
- Fold in noodles, sausage, parsley and sage into the large saucepan. Pour pasta into a 9x13 inch greased baking pan and top with remaining Parmesan Cheese . Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese has melted and turned golden brown.
- Pour pasta into a 9x13 inch greased baking pan and top with remaining Parmesan Cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese has melted and turned golden brown.
*Veggie Pack your pasta by baking it in a winter squash!
- 6 Large Acorn Squashes
- Pre-heat oven to 375º and grease shallow baking pan or cookie sheet
- Cut squash in ½ and remove seeds.
- Take a small slice off the bottom of each half to create a flat surface, allowing the squash to stand upright.
- Roast squash in a greased glass baking dish, for 30-45 minutes (depending on size), until the flesh is soft but they maintain their shape.
- Spoon pasta into squash and top with parmesan cheese Return squash to oven and bake for an addition 10-15 minutes, until the cheese has melted and browned.