Author Notes: I first made this when invited to a winter barbecue at the home of a friend who promised an 18-hour smoked brisket. At the last moment he asked if I could bring a "side." Beans were my first thought, but there wasn't enough time for that. I was compelled to improvise with what I had at hand, and this refreshing, crunchy winter salad was the result. It was a big hit with the barbecue attendees and I have made it numerous times since with great success. - zindc
Food52 Review: Zindc's slaw is refreshing and bright. It has sophisticated bursts of lime, fennel, and persimmon, and would work perfectly paired with any grilled or smoked meats. One quick note: for this recipe, you don't want your persimmons too ripe or they won't hold their shape when you slice them. Add a bit more cucumber and a little more salt to taste, and you've got a go-to fennel slaw on your hands. - favabean
Serves 6 to 8
Fennel Slaw with Persimmons
- 2 large fennel bulbs
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/2 english cucumber
- 3 scallions
- 1 jalapeño pepper or 2 serrano chiles
- 2 Fuyu persimmons (some people insist on peeling them, but I don't bother)
- 3-4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Sprinkling of salt and white pepper
- Zest of one lime, finely grated
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon shallot, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, more if dressing is too acidic
- Peel any discolored or fibrous areas off of the outside of the fennel bulbs. Cut in half and remove cores. Using a hand mandoline, finely slice the fennel.
- Peel, cut in half and remove seeds from the cucumber. Use the mandoline to slice the cucumber.
- Peel and finely julienne or shred the carrot and scallions.
- Cut the jalapeño in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and stem, then finely slice across to make thin half-moons.
- Remove the stems from the persimmons, cut in half from pole to pole. Using the mandoline, finely slice across the halves, revealing the beautiful internal pattern.
- Combine all of the vinaigrette ingredients in a blender or mixing jar.
- Toss the slaw ingredients with the vinaigrette and chopped cilantro.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Persimmons