If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I first made this when invited to a winter barbecue at the home of a friend who promised an 18-hour smoked brisket. At the last moment he asked if I could bring a "side." Beans were my first thought, but there wasn't enough time for that. I was compelled to improvise with what I had at hand, and this refreshing, crunchy winter salad was the result. It was a big hit with the barbecue attendees and I have made it numerous times since with great success. —zora
Food52 Review: Zindc's slaw is refreshing and bright. It has sophisticated bursts of lime, fennel, and persimmon, and would work perfectly paired with any grilled or smoked meats. One quick note: for this recipe, you don't want your persimmons too ripe or they won't hold their shape when you slice them. Add a bit more cucumber and a little more salt to taste, and you've got a go-to fennel slaw on your hands. —favabean
Serves 6 to 8
Fennel Slaw with Persimmons
- 2 large fennel bulbs
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/2 english cucumber
- 3 scallions
- 1 jalapeño pepper or 2 serrano chiles
- 2 Fuyu persimmons (some people insist on peeling them, but I don't bother)
- 3-4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Sprinkling of salt and white pepper
- Zest of one lime, finely grated
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon shallot, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, more if dressing is too acidic
- Peel any discolored or fibrous areas off of the outside of the fennel bulbs. Cut in half and remove cores. Using a hand mandoline, finely slice the fennel.
- Peel, cut in half and remove seeds from the cucumber. Use the mandoline to slice the cucumber.
- Peel and finely julienne or shred the carrot and scallions.
- Cut the jalapeño in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and stem, then finely slice across to make thin half-moons.
- Remove the stems from the persimmons, cut in half from pole to pole. Using the mandoline, finely slice across the halves, revealing the beautiful internal pattern.
- Combine all of the vinaigrette ingredients in a blender or mixing jar.
- Toss the slaw ingredients with the vinaigrette and chopped cilantro.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Persimmons