If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Make game day memorable with this sweet, smoky, and flavorful chili recipe that just so happens to be vegan, too. - Gena Hamshaw
- 1 1/2 cups dried black beans
- 4 cups sweet potato, diced into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped white or yellow onion (about one medium to large onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper en adobo, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground chili powder
- 1 14 or 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth (and more as needed)
- sea salt to taste
- 1/4 cup chives, snipped into small pieces
- 1 large Haas avocado
- Soak the black beans in water for 6 to 8 hours, or overnight. Drain the soak liquid. Submerge them in fresh water, with enough to cover them by a few inches. Bring beans to a boil and lower to a simmer. Cook till beans are tender, approximately 45 minutes to one hour. Drain and set them aside.
- Heat the tablespoon of oil in a dutch oven or a large pot. Saute the onion for a few minutes, then add the sweet potato and garlic. Keep sauteing until the onions are translucent, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the chili en adobo, the cumin, the chili powder, and the smoked paprika. Heat until the spices are very fragrant. Add the can of tomatoes and one can of vegetable broth.
- When broth is bubbling, reduce to a simmer and cook for approximately 30 or 35 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are totally tender. As you co along, you can continue to add the remaining cup of vegetable broth as is needed and depending on the texture chili you like. Season to taste with salt.
- When chili is finished, allow it to sit for a little while so that flavors can marinate. To serve, top a generous bowl with some fresh avocado slices and chives.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Don't let those cracks in your cheesecake get you down.
Wine to go, without the box.
Go play outside!
Herb rubs, fresh and dried.