Author Notes: I came up with this beautiful recipe one wintery day, after I came back from the Farmer's Market in my neighborhood (West Hollywood). When I looked at the produce I got I immediately felt like making a soup, a velvety one with rich flavors. I know this soup is also amazing with butter but because of allergy reasons, I cooked it with olive oil. It was delightful either way. - shelly cook
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks
- 1 onion
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 sun chokes, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 tablespoon white wine - optional
- 5 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper or black
- olive oil for garnish
- Put the olive oil in a medium pot on a medium low heat.
- Add the vegetables and the herbs and sauteed for 5 - 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add wine and water or broth and bring to boil. Add salt and white pepper and lower the heat to low. Cover with a lid and cook for 40 minutes.
- Let the soup cool down for at least 10 minutes, then remove the bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Correct seasoning then puree the soup with an hand blander until it is smooth (or any other blander, in batches if necessary). Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and some freshly ground black pepper.