If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This soup is my childhood in a bowl. My mother made it for me, now I make it often for my 10 month daughter. I like to make my stock overnight and check it when I'm up in the night to feed my little one.. but you could easily make it the day before while keeping an eye on it! I must say, though, waking up to the smell of gently cooking stock is like nothing else. —darksideofthespoon
Serves 4 - 6 [with leftovers]
- splash of oil
- 1 chicken carcass picked clean of meat
- 1 onion, halved
- 2 celery sticks, cut into large pieces
- 2 carrots, cut into large pieces
- 1 head of garlic, halved around the equator
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1/4 bunch of parsley, with stems
- 1 tsp black peppercorns, left whole
- kosher salt, to taste.
- enough water to fill the stock pot
- Combine the halved and chunk-i-fied vegetables in a large stock pot with the oil. Cook for 5 - 10 minutes with a pinch of salt and the 1 tsp of peppercorns.
- Add in the picked chicken carcass, bay leaves, thyme, parsley and cover with water. Simmer this for a minute and then turn down to your stoves lowest setting.
- Cook for at least 8 hours, checking often and topping up with water as needed. Strain and season with salt.
Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter, or olive oil
- 3 carrots, diced finely
- 2 celery sticks, diced finely
- 1 large yellow onion, diced finely
- 1 clove of garlic, diced finely
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 to 5 liters chicken stock [recipe above, homemade is best!]
- 4 cups leftover cooked chicken, torn into small bite size strips
- 1 pound alphabet pasta, or a similar small pasta
- 3/4 bunch parsley, leaves picked from the stems, and minced
- 3 tablespoons butter, or olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Saute the finely diced vegetables with 1 tablespoon of butter or olive oil for 5 - 10 minutes. Be careful not to brown them. Add bay leaf and stock. Simmer for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft, and adjust salt to taste.
- Fill a large pot with water and heat to boil. Salt generously. Add pasta and cook until al dente. Strain pasta, and return this to the pot you used to cook the pasta. Add 3 tablespoons of butter, the parsley and chicken and heat on low until the chicken is warmed through and the butter is melted.. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Serve by portioning the chicken, noodle and parsley mixture to the bottom of a soup bowl. Ladle the hot stock and vegetables over this and serve immediately.
- Keep the cooked noodles, chicken and parsley separate in a container so the noodles don't over absorb the stock, and the parsley stays bright green.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Noodle Soups
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.