If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Similar to make-your-own tacos, this make-your-own Japanese-Style soup is a fresh, delicious, and healthy dinner idea…and a lot of fun to put together, especially for kids. This is a vegetarian version, but you could use chicken broth, add shredded poached chicken or cooked shrimp, too. I prefer soba noodles but the rest of my family prefers udon noodles (or, you could have both….)….YUM —MealPlanningMoms
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 slices peeled fresh ginger, each about the size of a quarter
- 1 3/4" piece kombu, rinsed (optional)
- 8 ounces package soba noodles or udon noodles
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 1 bunch fresh bean sprouts
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 small package enoki mushrooms, sliced off their base
- ponzu sauce to serve
- Simmer the broth, garlic, ginger, and kombu for 20 minutes; remove and discard garlic, ginger, and kombu.
- While the broth is simmering, prepare vegetables and place in separate bowls for everyone to help themselves.
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain and briefly rinse in cool water.
- Divide noodles among bowls, ladle broth on top, and let everyone choose their additions.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Noodle Soups
Toppings That Are out of the Park
How to make one haute dog
Out of the park toppings.
Life's a beach.
It's time to travel.
Food blog links we love.
Put cake on a pedestal.