Author Notes: Similar to make-your-own tacos, this make-your-own Japanese-Style soup is a fresh, delicious, and healthy dinner idea…and a lot of fun to put together, especially for kids. This is a vegetarian version, but you could use chicken broth, add shredded poached chicken or cooked shrimp, too. I prefer soba noodles but the rest of my family prefers udon noodles (or, you could have both….)….YUM - MealPlanningMoms
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 slices peeled fresh ginger, each about the size of a quarter
- 1 3/4" piece kombu, rinsed (optional)
- 8 ounces package soba noodles or udon noodles
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 1 bunch fresh bean sprouts
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 small package enoki mushrooms, sliced off their base
- ponzu sauce to serve
- Simmer the broth, garlic, ginger, and kombu for 20 minutes; remove and discard garlic, ginger, and kombu.
- While the broth is simmering, prepare vegetables and place in separate bowls for everyone to help themselves.
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain and briefly rinse in cool water.
- Divide noodles among bowls, ladle broth on top, and let everyone choose their additions.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Noodle Soups