Author Notes: After a cold week, I wanted something to take the chill off. I was going to make dahl, but I found a half used jar of Thai red curry paste and liked the idea of a Thai Curry Soup. A handful of spinach tossed in at the end is nice too. Or be fancy and garnish with sauteed shrimp or scallops. - Ann W.
- 2 cups mixed red and yellow lentils
- 1 large shallot
- 1 white onion
- 1 tablespoon Thai Red Curry Paste
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 large carrot
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Finely chop the shallot and onion and saute until transparent in light vegetable oil or coconut oil.
- Stir in the curry paste and let cook for a few minutes. RInse the lentils well and add them in. Chop your carrot and add that.
- Pour in the broths and the coconut milk. Let everything cook together at a gentle simmer until the lentils are soft. About 20 minutes. Use an immersion blender to puree about half of the soup.
- If you like, you can garnish with chopped avocado, or chopped peanuts and serve with wedges of lime.