If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The best side dish ever, this will please even your non-healthy friends! Packed with spicy, crunchy chickpeas, nutty almonds and sweet, caramelized onions, this combination transforms millet. If you’re not 100% vegan, eat this with a large spoonful of plain yogurt. - Weird & Ravenous
- 1/2 cup millet
- Coarse salt
- One 14-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1/4 cup blanched and sliced almonds
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced into thin half-moons
- Small handful cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Place the millet in a saucepan with 1 ½ cups of water and a large pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover the pot and simmer until the millet is just cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let it sit, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the chickpeas on the prepared pan and drizzle with a glug of olive oil and the harissa. Sprinkle the mixture with a big pinch of salt and, using your hands, evenly coat the chickpeas. Roast, stirring now and then, until a bit crispy, about 20 minutes. Set the chickpeas aside.
- Heat a thin layer of olive oil (about 3 or 4 tablespoons) in a skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the almonds to the hot oil and cook, stirring now and then, until they’re browned and fragrant, just a few minutes. Transfer the almonds to a plate, leaving the extra oil in the pan.
- Place the onions into the leftover-almond-oil and cook, stirring now and then, until dark brown and quite soft, about 15 minutes. Set the onions aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the millet, chickpeas, almonds, onions and cilantro. Season the mixture to taste with salt and eat warm or at room temperature. It’s even good cold to be honest.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!