If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe was inspired by one of my favorite tapas- fried goat cheese with onion jam and honey. It's a sweet little bite of deliciousness. - arielleclementine - arielleclementine
Food52 Review: As we tasted this polenta – crisped in a pan and topped with caramelized onions, goat cheese and a sprinkling of honey -- we thought aloud that it would make a great first course. No, a small lunch! Or how about breakfast! We’d happily eat it all day long, and we think you would, too. You can make arielleclementine’s polenta and onions ahead of time, then just crisp the polenta and assemble the dish when you’re ready. - A&M - A&M
For the Polenta
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup polenta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the Topping
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow onion, halved and sliced in 1/4" slices
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- honey, to drizzle
- Bring the water, milk, and salt to a boil. Slowly whisk in the polenta. Turn heat to low, and continue whisking for 5 minutes, or until polenta is smooth and creamy. Spread the polenta in a 9x9 baking dish, and set aside to cool.
- While the polenta is setting up, add the butter and olive oil to a heavy-bottomed skillet set to medium-low heat. Add the sliced onions and a sprinkle of kosher salt, and cook, stirring occasionally until soft, golden, and caramelized- about 20-25 minutes.
- Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil into another skillet, set over medium heat. Using a 3" round cookie cutter, cut out circles of the firm polenta, and place in the heated skillet. Cook until slightly browned and crusty on one side, about 2 minutes, then flip and cook the other sides another two minutes.
- To assemble the polenta cakes, place on a plate, add one tablespoon of caramelized onions to each cake, top each with about a teaspoon of crumbled goat cheese, and drizzle with honey. Enjoy!
- Your Best Polenta Recipe Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!