Author Notes: I've always gone right for this soup at our favorite Izakaya, but it's a fantastic comfort food and a go-to when I'm sick with a cold. I love the salty bite from the bonito and fish, and it's a welcome change from chicken noodle soup. The traditional version just uses green tea in the broth, but I find when I make it at home that it's missing something so I add the soy and mirin. - Meatballs&Milkshakes
- 2 cups cooked rice, white or brown
- 4 cups hot freshly brewed green tea
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 6 ounces salmon filet
- 4 tablespoons bonito flakes or bottarga
- 2 tablespoons Japanese rice seasoning or combination dried seaweed and sesame seeds
- Roast the salmon for 10 minutes at 375 degrees with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper until it’s cooked to medium rare.
- Pile the rice in a bowl and lay the salmon over the top. Sprinkled with bonito and rice seasoning. Combine the tea, soy, and mirin and pour over the top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Tea