If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Since it's obvious the groundhog was wrong and there's still all kinds of nasty weather out there, these lemon muffins are the perfect antidote to the winter blues. Use fresh lemons, 3 should do you, and don't skimp on separating the eggs and whipping the whites. The topping is a crunchy sweet-tart bling that reminds me of lemon drop candies, hence the name. —almacucina
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- rind of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with 10 cupcake papers and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Cream butter and sugar in a stand mixer on medium, scraping down the sides as necessary, until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and lemon rind and beat for another minute.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the lemon juice. Mix on low just until everything is combined. At this point the mixture may seem dry but don't worry it will loosen up when the whites go in.
- In a small metal bowl whisk egg whites and 1 tablespoon of sugar until stiff but not dry, the soft peak stage. Fold whites gently in to main mixture. Divide evenly into muffin tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- When done, cool on a wire rack before popping muffins out of tin. For the topping: combine white sugar and lemon rind. Dip the top of each muffin in melted butter and then sugar mixture. Serve immediately.
- 1 & 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup room temperture butter
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar plus 1 tablespoon for the whites
- rind of two lemons
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites
Tomatoes! Peaches! Strawberries!
Our favorite #F52farmstands.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.