If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Hot, hot, hot! But wonderful. This will get your taste buds tingling. This is a wonderful dish full of fantastic spicy flavours and a kick of chilli. If you are a curry lover, then you will be coming back to this dish time and time again. Of course! If you don’t like it too spicy, then lessen the amount of chilli..it will still taste absolutely amazing. - GourmetVegan
For the sauce
- 1 medium aubergine ( eggplant ) , pricked and roasted
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 square inch ginger, grated
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- Spice Mix ~ 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1 teaspoon garam masala, 1 teaspoon dried methi leaves (optional), 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon chilli powder (less if you like a more mild curry)
- 240 ml water
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- Fresh chilli, chopped ( to taste and according to heat )
For the potatoes
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 350 g new potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- You will also need 200g kale, steamed and chopped
- Before cooking this dish there are 2 steps that need to be prepared in advance. These steps take the same cooking time and so can be put into the oven at the same time.
- Preparing the aubergine
- Prick the aubergine and put into the oven at 200 degrees Celsius (400 F) and baking for around 30 minutes or until the aubergine has softened. Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly and remove the skin and any tough parts. Mash and put to one side.
- Preparing the potatoes
- Place the potato pieces in a bowl with the oil, salt and turmeric. Coat well and place onto a baking tray and place in the oven at the same time as the aubergine for 30 minutes. Remove and put to one side.
- Now prepare the sauce
- In a large pan and over a medium heat fry the onions, garlic and ginger, along with the salt, in the oil and fry until the onions have softened and caramelised.
- Add the tomato and spices, stir well and fry for a few minutes to cook out the spices. Now add the mashed aubergine and water. Cover and simmer on a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and add the mustard, vinegar, agave and chilli. Stir well and add the potatoes and the steamed kale. Heat through, taste for seasoning and serve. If the sauce is too thin, reduce by cooking uncovered for a few minutes. If too thick, add a little water.
- I like to serve this with rice and a side dish of dahl.
Around the World in 16 Breakfasts
The most important meal of the day, the international way.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.