If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is a little crazy. It is vegan, full of vegetables, full of protein, gluten free and sugar free. All that aside, it tastes super chocolatey and rich! I don't call it a "cake" as it is much more like a dense baked chocolate pudding. It can be served hot from the oven or cold the next day. I far prefer this dessert cold. The flavor is more intense and the texture is more unctuous and rich. - DUZE @BakingBackwards
- PART I: MOLTEN CHOCOLATE CAKE BATTER
- 1 large golden sweet potato
- 2 large red beets
- 1/4 cup pear butter or apple butter
- 10 tbsp 100% cocoa powder
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup vegenaise
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup filtered water OR non dairy milk
- 2 scoops chocolate protein powder (I used 2 single serve packets Sun Warrior Chocolate)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- PART II: RICH VEGAN ICING (OPTIONAL)
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (like Enjoy Life brand)
- 1 tbsp non-dairy milk
- pinch sea salt
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp maple syrup or hone
- Preheat oven to 375F. Wash the potato and prick all over with a fork. Place directly on the oven rack. Peel the beets, chop and space out in a baking dish. Bake together with the potato until tender, about 30 mins. Take out of oven, slice potato open. Place beets and potato on a plate and chill in freezer 10 minutes.
- Scoop potato insides and beet pieces in a food processor and blend till smooth. Add remaining PART I: MOLTEN CHOCOLATE CAKE BATTER ingredients and process till smooth. Taste! Adjust cocoa, pear butter, and salt according to your taste buds. Batter should taste sweet before baking as the sweetness will dissipate as it bakes.
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Scrape batter into a round or square baking pan or multiple single serve ramekins and shake slightly to evenly distribute batter in the pan or ramekins. If you are using ramekins, fill each ramekin 2/3 full. DO NOT MAKE DOUGHNUTS OR CUPCAKES WITH THIS BATTER!
- Bake 15 mins at 325F. Cake will not set firmly but instead will form crust and be soft to the touch.
- After first 15 minutes, take a spoon or fork and stir the batter in the cake pan or ramekins thoroughly. Bake an additional 15 minutes. This will create a firmer texture throughout the cake(s). After second 15 minutes of baking, cool on stove top. Serve hot or chill an hour or up to two days before serving.
- This cake can be enjoyed hot or cold. I preferred this cake cold with no icing. It tasted best after it chilled in the fridge overnight. My husband does not believe that any cake should be free of icing. Below is a recipe for a rich vegan icing for the cake or mini cakes.
- Icing: Melt chocolate chips, milk and maple syrup/honey together in a double boiler or a heat proof bowl suspended over a pot of simmering water. The bowl should not touch the water. Whisk the top together as they melt. Once melted, add sea salt, cinnamon and vanilla extract and stir to incorporate. Take off the heat. Allow 5 minutes to cool before pouring over cake or mini cakes.
Each Peach Pear Plum
Poetry for your market basket.
Poems for your fridge.
Wine to go, without the box.
Go play outside!
Make your houseplants do double duty.