Author Notes: This recipe was inspired from my garden-fennel, radishes and chives celebrate spring. With whole wheat bread on hand I had the beginnings of a perfect luncheon idea. - REC
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon snipped chives
- 1 teaspoon drained capers
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 small red radishes, very thinly sliced
- 2 cups shaved fennel bulb
- 1 hard boiled egg, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon snipped fennel fronds
- 1 teaspoon chopped pistachio nuts
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 sprigs fennel fronds for garnish
- Combine the mascarpone, mustard, chives, capers and pepper in a small bowl; mix well.
- Spread over 1 side of each bread slice, dividing equally.
- Top with the radish followed by the fennel, dividing equally.
- Mix together the ingredients for the topping till well combined, spoon over the fennel; garnish the plates with the fennel frond sprigs and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel