If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Indian porridge. Healthy, nourishing make ahead breakfast. Pinch of turmeric goves it a vibrant color and helps your body fight diseases. —ami@naivecookcooks
- 1 cup cracked wheat, easily available in Indian stores
- 3 cups milk (I used 2%)( whole milk, low fat milk, coconut milk can be used as well)
- Pinch of turmeric
- To taste sugar ( brown sugar, honey or maple syrup can be used)
- Almonds or nut of any kind, to garnish (optional)
- Unsweetened, shredded coconut (optional)
- You can play around with the garnishing of your choice. Any kind of nuts can be used, you can use fruits, preserves. It’s all about how you prefer.
- In a pressure cooker, add 1 cup dry cracked wheat. Roast it on high flame till it starts to get golden brown. Add 2.5 cups of water to it and close the lid. Let the cooker whistle 3-4 times.
- I have noticed that sometimes while whistling it throws around the food so as a precautionary measure, let the cooker whistle once and then lower the flame amd let it simmer for 7-10 mins. Turn off the gas and let it cool. At this stage you can keep it in an airtight container for later use in refrigerator.
- If eating now, then add milk according to the desired consistency, pinch of turmeric and sugar. Let it boil once. Taste and adjust sugar. Serve hot or warm along with toppings of your choice. Hope this serves you as a healthy and quick breakfast treat. Enjoy.
Let's Play Gin
It's time for Haiku52
Our haikus about gin.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Food blog links we love.
Have a ball (jar).