Author Notes: Who doesn't enjoy soup on a cold day? This combines familiar comforting flavours with a twist.
- Marisa R
- 1 leek sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 yellow med. size potatoes, peeled, washed, cubed
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fennel, stems can be used
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock (preferably homemade)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- In a preheated medium size pot add oil, onion, garlic, leek and fennel saute for 5-8 min to soften vegetables. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Add diced potatoes and continue stirring and cooking on medium heat for another 5min. Add broth and bring pot up to boil. Immediately turn down the heat to a simmer and cook until vegetables are fork tender. Approx. 20-30min. Taste for seasoning. Using a slotted spoon transfer the larger chunks of vegetables to a blender add some stock just to blend and puree. I like leaving a few chunks to add texture so everyone can see the ingredients.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel