If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is the ultimate snack food. It's a cross between my grandma's traditional TV trash, my addition of candied nuts and a party mix recipe that I saw in Bon Appetit (their version had Bugle chips which I decided to nix considering it brought me back to high school bus trips). I'm the type that always craves salty right after I've eaten sugar and am dying for something sweet the moment I finish off a bag of chips. Those desires led me to create this vice; it's the best of both worlds, leaving me craving nothing more than a cold beer and football. The candied cashews are the perfect, yet subtle, sweet to this otherwise traditionally savory mix. The best thing about TV trash is that you can always add or take away any ingredient based on taste, preference or allergy. Yes, it's a guilty pleasure food- but oh, so worth it. - Katie
Serves a crowd
- 2 cups Wheat Chex Cereal
- 2 cups Corn Chex Cereal
- 2 cups Rice Chex Cereal
- 1/2 cup Pretzels
- 1/2 cup Pepitas (Pumpkin Seeds)
- 1/2 cup Packaged Roasted Green Peas (NOT wasabi flavor)
- 1/2 cup Sesame Sticks
- 1 cup Candied Cashews (recipe below; may substitute any nut)
- 6 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Cashews
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- Preheat over to 250 degrees.
- Combine first seven ingredients in a large bowl (don't include candied nuts).
- Melt butter on stove and add remaining six ingredients to pan. Once melted and combined, pour over bowl's mixture and toss to coat.
- Pour mixture onto two parchment lined baking sheets and bake for one hour, making sure to stir every 15 minutes. Remove from oven once mixture is slightly browned.
- While the TV Trash is cooking, make candied cashews. Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the sugar and the nuts. Cook until the sugar melts and becomes a light golden color. Pour evenly onto a parchment lined baking sheet and allow to cool- making sure to break up any large chunks before cooled. Once cooled, set aside.
- Once cereal mixture is cooled, pour into a serving bowl and stir in candied cashews.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
What's In, What's Out
What we're obsessed with, and what we're not.
What's in, what's out.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Wedding registry must haves.