If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I'm not Greek, but I've loved Greek food for a long time. This traditional Greek dessert is the best expression of farina I can think of. It combines the crispness of Phyllo with the soothing sweet comfort of custard. When I saw this contest, I knew I had to share this recipe. - ChefJune
Food52 Review: Never having tried this phyllo-encrusted Greek dessert, I loved the subtle and silky custard inside. As a fan of cream of wheat, I definitely enjoyed the taste of farina, though in a whole new way. - Allison Bruns Buford
Makes one 11x13 pan
- 2 quarts whole milk
- 1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
- 1 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 cup farina
- 9 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (I use Nielsen-Massey)
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 13 sheets Phyllo
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan, combine milk, cream, sugar, and 1 stick of butter. Heat until butter melts, then add farina and cook over a low flame until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set side.
- Beat eggs; stir into the farina mixture. Then, using a hand mixer, beat for about 5 minutes. (With a KitchenAid you will only need about 3 minutes.) Stir in vanilla.
- Melt butter. With a pastry brush, oil your baking pan with a little of the butter.
- Place 8 sheets of phyllo in your pan, one at a time, brushing each one with butter before laying down the next. Pour slightly cooled custard mixture over these sheets. Cover with 5 more phyllo sheets, buttering between each one. Fold in edges so filling will not overflow.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and, while still hot, pour cooled syrup over top.
- 2 cups organic cane sugar
- A few drops of fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups water
- Combine syrup ingredients and boil gently. Let syrup cool before pouring on top of hot pastry.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal