If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: After watching my kids run off to school without breakfast one time to many, I decided to make a portable breakfast. This started as Quaker Oatmeal's Chewy Fruit & Oatmeal bars, but I tweaked it to add more iron (molasses), reduced the sugar, added fiber and utilize the cold cereal "flour". (Save powder or "flour" from the remnants of the cereal kept in a glass jar and used it in this recipe. I figure the sugar and vitamins are there, and use them rather than waste it.) - Susan P
Makes 13" x 9" pan
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cereal "flour"
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- 1 very ripe banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinammon
- 3 cups oatmeal, old fashioned
- 1 cup raisins
- In my mixing bowl, I just start adding the ingredients on at a time. I have also added other items, if available, like sesame seeds, chia seeds, almonds, etc.
- The batter is very smooth until you add the oatmeal. I add the oatmeal one cup at at time. I also prepare the raisins before by putting them in a dish, covered with water, and microwaving them for 1 minute (to plump them) and then drain the water and add the raisins to the thick mixture.
- Then I spread it out into a greased (I use butter) pan, either 13" x 9" pan or 2 cake rounds and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Let cool and cut into squares or wedges. I have also baked them as muffins. They also freeze very well.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.