If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This compulsively addictive crunchy treat is great to give away--since that's basically the only way you'll avoid eating the entire salty-spicy batch yourself in one sitting. Thank heaven its sweetness comes from maple syrup and not sugar--between that, the pecans and the cranberries, you'll end up feeling less like a pusher!
Serves 1? 10?
- 8 cups plain popcorn, popped
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 6 tablespoons salted butter (3/4 stick)
- 1 1/2 cup maple syrup (preferably grade B)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Toss popcorn, pecans and cranberries together in a large bowl.
- Line a large cookie sheet with foil and lightly oil.
- Melt butter in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add maple syrup, salt and cayenne and boil (still over medium heat), without stirring, until thermometer registers 280°F, about 20 minutes.
- Pour over popcorn and stir immediately with a silicone spatula to coat. Then quickly spread mixture on cookie sheet in a single layer (if possible). Cool completely and break into bite-size pieces.
- To give away, package in tins, wax paper bags or cellophane bags.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Movie Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Edible Gift