Author Notes: A spring vegetarian chickpea soup that's lush in all the right places (but won't lull you to sleep). Recipe from Super Natural Every Day: Well-Loved Recipes from My Natural Foods Kitchen (Ten Speed Press, 2011) - Genius Recipes
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- Fine-grain sea salt
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 1/2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads (2 modest pinches)
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup plain yogurt (Greek or regular)
- Sweet paprika
- Small bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a medium-large pot over medium-high heat, combine the olive oil, onion, and a couple of big pinches of salt. Cook until the onions soften up a bit, a few minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas, and then add the vegetable broth and garlic. Bring to a simmer and remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the saffron and egg yolks, then whisk in the yogurt. Slowly add a big ladleful, at least 1 cup, of the hot broth to the yogurt mixture, stirring constantly. Very slowly whisk this mixture back into the pot of soup.
- Return the pot to medium heat and cook, stirring continuously for another 5 minutes or so, until the broth thickens to the consistency of heavy cream, never quite allowing broth to simmer.
- Ladle into individual bowls and serve sprinkled with a touch of paprika and plenty of chopped cilantro.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!