If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: To me, this is the perfect spring soup. It's green, with a clean, fresh flavor, and can be served warm or cold, depending on the weather (which, if this spring is any indication, can oscillate rather unpredictably). As a bonus, it calls for no broth; just water. Pour it into a jar and take it for lunch, or serve it to company. If you want to be very fancy and uber-seasonal, take 1 whole ramp for each person and fry it in hot olive oil until the leaves crisp and the stem softens. Then place it in a spiraled pattern atop the soup. - Rivka
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped onion (I prefer spring onions if they're available, and you'll need about 3; 1 regular yellow works too)
- 2 leeks, rinsed thoroughly and chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup yogurt, plus more for serving
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat butter and oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add asparagus, onion, leeks, and a pinch or two of salt, and cook for about 5 minutes, until vegetables start to soften.
- Add water, another pinch of salt, and a grind or two of pepper, and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until vegetables are very soft. Taste the liquid, and add more seasoning if necessary.
- Transfer the soup and the yogurt into a blender and blend until completely smooth.You'll probably have to do this in two batches, so either divide the yogurt in half to blend some with each batch, or mix the two batches of pureed soup very thoroughly. Taste again, and season with more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Refrigerate thoroughly before serving. Or, if you prefer to serve the soup warm, reheat very gently in the soup pot for about 5 minutes.
- Top with either a dollop of yogurt and a drizzle of olive oil, or the fried ramps mentioned in the headnote.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Soffritto: The Superstar
Your new favorite three-ingredient ingredient.
Soffritto's a superstar.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
A master class in recipes.
This is poppin'.