If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a spicy rice dish with dried fruit, coconut, almonds or cashews and Indian spices. It's a nice pantry recipe for when you don't want to go to the store--you can really use whatever dried fruit and nuts you have around. It would go well with a simple, citrusy chicken or fish recipe, or you could add chickpeas or other legumes to make it a main dish. —clintonhillbilly
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 2.25 cups Water
- 1 Small onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons Unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup Chopped dried fruit or raisins
- 1/4 cup Sliced almonds or other nuts
- 1 tablespoon Curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Black mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushes red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Canola or other oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- Cover basmati rice with water in a bowl and swish around with a spoon or your finger to release excess starch from the rice. When the water is cloudy, drain and repeat at twice more. Combine rice and 2.25 cups water in a saucepan, salt water, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer. Depending on whether you are using brown or white rice it will take 20-25 minutes to cook.
- While rice is cooking, gently sauté onions in oil in heavy-bottomed skillet till soft and slightly sweet, around 8-10 minutes. At this point add curry powder and dried fruit to rice, replace lid and continue cooking on low heat. I have used dried apricots, dates, and golden raisins with success, you can use whatever dried fruit you have on hand. Golden raisins are my personal favorite in this dish.
- Add black mustard seeds and cumin seeds, raise heat and sauté for one minute. Add crushed chili, coconut, and sliced almonds or other nuts and saute for a couple of minutes, stirring frequently. Turn off heat.
- When rice is cooked, add rice mixture to skillet and stir to combine with almond, coconut, onion and spice mixture. Squeeze juice of a lime over and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
The local's guide to Oakland
The local's guide to Oakland.
Celebrate Canada Day with snacks.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
Orange you sweet.