If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There's a secret ingredient in here: ginger (times two). Fiery candied ginger is minced up in the crumb topping, and ground ginger in the cake too -- just enough to give it a warm, flirty je ne sais quoi that doesn't try to shout over the rhubarb. Adapted very slightly from Rustic Fruit Desserts (Ten Speed Press, 2009) —Genius Recipes
Serves 8 to 12
Ginger Crumb Topping
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped candied ginger
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 pound rhubarb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch round baking pan.
- Make ginger crumb topping: Mix sugar, flour, and candied ginger together in a bowl, then stir in melted butter. Put the topping in the freezer while you mix up the cake.
- Make the cake: whisk flour, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Using a handheld mixer with beaters, or a stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down sides of bowl after each addition. Stir in the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk in two additions, beginning and ending with dry ingredients, and scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally. Gently fold in rhubarb.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan, then sprinkle the crumb topping over the cake. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until lightly golden, and firm on top.
- Store wrapped in plastic, at room temperature, for 2 to 3 days.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!