If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I had mentioned the big 5 of the rice dishes in South Indian cuisine in another recipe (for mayer lemon rice), Coconut rice is one of them. Its very simple to cobble up but important to remember that you need really good quality shredded coconut. I usually like to add some toasted sesame into the mix for an additional crunch & nuttiness (although there exists a separate sesame rice dish as well) —Panfusine
Serves 4-5 servings
- 1/2 cup Fresh shredded frozen coconut
- 1/3 cup whole sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon split Urad dal
- 1/4 cup broken cashewnuts
- 2 cups cooked Basmati rice, fluffed up and grains separate
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of Asafetida powder (optional)
- Toast the Coconut until it turns a light golden color. transfer to a bowl to cool. In the same skillet, toast the sesame seeds until they begin popping all over the gas range (and turn a golden brown color in the process). Combine with the coconut and give it a light turn in the spice grinder making sure that the mix does NOT turn into a powder. Keep the Basmati rice fluffed up in a large mixing bowl. you may season with the salt at this point if you prefer.
- Heat the ghee in a large saute pan add the mustard and Urad dal, once the mustard sputters and the Dal turn red, add the cashewnuts and the curry leaves. Add the coconut/sesame mix along with the salt (if you've not added it to the rice) , lower heat and combine the ingredients.
- Add this coconut mixture to the basmati rice and gently fold in to combine taking care not to mush up the rice. Serve warm with a side of Lentil wafers (papad)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
Why Our Vegan Cookbook is for Everyone
Whether you're a meat eater, tofu lover, or in-between
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Our latest #f52contest: back-pocket baking.
Have a ball (jar).