If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is the result of my crazy idea to just mash guacamole ingredients into quinoa (or rice, or barley, or pretty much any grain), and it turned out really well. The instructions are three short sentences -- it's SO simple. It's perfect as a portable side dish, because it can easily be doubled or tripled for a large batch to take to a party, and can be served warm, room temperature, or cold. Additionally, against all odds, it stays bright green for 3 days in the fridge! - foxeslovelemons
Food52 Review: This recipe was a twofer for me: the first day it had the character of an avocado quinoa salad, and as such was tasty and delightful. The second day, though, was when the guacamole kicked in The flavors had a chance to meld, the avocado softened the quinoa, and we really had a guacamole on our hands. It was delicious both ways and I could see using it both as a salad and as a dip, depending on the schedule. Definitely a great one to take along to a picnic or a potluck. I did tinker slightly with the proportions: 3 cups of quinoa cried out for more than one avocado, or maybe we had extra small ones. This is a dish that I will make again. - lmikkel
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced
- Juice of 1 1/2 limes
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 garlic clove, crushed with a press or minced and ground into a paste
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (I only add SOME of the seeds to the dish. Do as you please).
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- In a medium bowl, mash together avocado, lime juice, and salt. Add remaining ingredients, then toss to combine well. Serve warm or cold.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Avocados
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Most Impressive Dinner Party Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Quinoa Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
What's sweet and sour and your new favorite ingredient?
The answer is tamarind.
Ottolenghi's secret ingredient.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Live la vie en rose.
Take these foods to go.