If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Heidi Swanson's "lemony" dressing was one of my favorites- tahini, lots of lemon, creamy yet pungent. I was inspired to add honey and sumac after Lynne Rossetto Kasper chided a caller on the Splendid Table for not using his imported sumac. I like this dressing served over cabbage as a slaw. It makes a wonderful topping for kebab, gyro and a great side for grilled lamb. Pomegranates make a great addition when they are in season! —Hilarybee
Makes 4 side dish servings
Tahini Sumac Dressing
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1/4 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cups napa cabbage, cut into 1/2" ribbons (about one head of cabbage))
- 1 1/2 cups savoy cabbage, 1/2" ribbons (about half a head)
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds (optional but good when in season)
- Whisk together the tahini, lemon zest, lemon juice and ground sumac. Drizzle in the boiling water while whisking. Drizzle in the extra virgin olive oil, whisking vigorously to create a creamy emulsion. Add salt to taste.
- Combine the cabbage ribbons and onion in a large bowl. Combine with 3/4 of the dressing, coating the greens well. Arrange avocado slices on top, then drizzle the remaining dressing on top of the avocado and greens. Top with pomegranate seeds.
The local's guide to Oakland
The local's guide to Oakland.
Celebrate Canada Day with snacks.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
Orange you sweet.