If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I paid more than $6 for a jar of gourmet pasta sauce, but after reading the ingredients I realized it was pretty simple. Adding defrosted butternut squash--the whole package with a quart jar of homemade or quality prepared tomato pasta sauce--couldn't be easier. Not only does this add a great nutritional punch, but its a complex flavor and nice thickness that adds a lot to homemade sauce or baked pasta dishes. - lindaGF
Makes about one and a half quarts
- 1 quart homemade or quality commercial pasta tomato sauce
- 2 cups frozen pureed butternut squash
- 1 handful freshly grated romano or peccorino cheese
- 2 pieces Optional: Italian sweet or hot sausage, cooked
- Open and saute the meat from two links of either sweet or hot Italian sausage and, break into small bits. Drain fat as much as possible and set aside. Warm approximately one quart of homemade tomato pasta sauce or use a quality brand from the grocery store. Defrost an approximately 12 ounce box of frozen butternut squash puree and add to the sauce. Then add the crumbled sausage meat. Stir and heat to desired temperature. Add a handful (about a quarter cup) grated Romano Peccorino cheese.
- Use this sauce directly on pasta or use in place of tomato sauce in casseroles. It is also very good on cheese ravioli as a vegetarian entree (omitting sausage) and as a pizza base. It's great when you need a very quick meal--ready by the time your pasta cooks.