If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a South Indian inspired salad made with chickpeas, coconut, crunchy veggies and a curry leaf and lemon vinaigrette. - Chitra Agrawal
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1 red bell pepper, medium chop
- 1/4 red onion, half circles
- 1/2 pound string beans
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pinch hing (asafetida)
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 4 curry leaves
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- Blanch the string beans in boiling water so they are still bright green and have crunch to them.
- Pour them into a bowl of ice water so they don't cook further.
- Wash the chickpeas thoroughly until water is clear.
- Place the chickpeas in a bowl with the string beans, red bell pepper, onions and coconut.
- In a very small pan, heat oil under medium heat. Put in hing and mustard seeds and cover.
- When the mustard seeds start to sputter, turn the heat down a little and put in chili and curry leaves and mix. Cook for about 30 seconds.
- Turn off heat and pour over chickpeas and vegetables.
- Add lemon juice, coconut and cilantro and mix. You can add salt to your taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe