Author Notes: Moist vanilla cake doughnuts glazed with dark chocolate and sprinkled with vanilla bean sea salt - Sweet District
Vanilla Cake Doughnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup vanilla sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sea salt for sprinkling
- Canola oil for frying
Dark Chocolate Glaze
- 2 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- In mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, nutmeg, and baking powder. Mix on low with paddle attachment until combined
- Add butter and mix on medium speed until combined until incorporated.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla. Slowly add to flour mixture and mix on medium. Do not over mix – all you need is 45-60 seconds. The dough will be sticky.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, bring your oil to temperature (360 to 375 degrees).
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to 1/2 inch thick. Cut doughnuts using a “doughnut cutter” or a large and small biscuit cutter.
- When the oil reaches temperature, begin to fry your doughnuts. Fry until golden brown (about 45 seconds per side). Place doughnuts on cooling rack covered with plenty of paper towels.
- Dip doughnuts in the chocolate glaze. Sprinkle with vanilla sea salt. Allow to rest for the glaze to set.
- Serve and enjoy.