If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Moist vanilla cake doughnuts glazed with dark chocolate and sprinkled with vanilla bean sea salt —Sweet District
Vanilla Cake Doughnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup vanilla sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sea salt for sprinkling
- Canola oil for frying
Dark Chocolate Glaze
- 2 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- In mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, nutmeg, and baking powder. Mix on low with paddle attachment until combined
- Add butter and mix on medium speed until combined until incorporated.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla. Slowly add to flour mixture and mix on medium. Do not over mix – all you need is 45-60 seconds. The dough will be sticky.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, bring your oil to temperature (360 to 375 degrees).
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to 1/2 inch thick. Cut doughnuts using a “doughnut cutter” or a large and small biscuit cutter.
- When the oil reaches temperature, begin to fry your doughnuts. Fry until golden brown (about 45 seconds per side). Place doughnuts on cooling rack covered with plenty of paper towels.
- Dip doughnuts in the chocolate glaze. Sprinkle with vanilla sea salt. Allow to rest for the glaze to set.
- Serve and enjoy.
More Great Recipes: Breakfast & Brunch
Orange wine, robo-pancakes, and more
Our favorite food reads.
Our haikus about gin.
We've got the summer blues.
Food blog links we love.
A better basket.