If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Those who know me well, know I am a little weird, and that I am also ever so particular
about my bananas (I like to eat them on my cereal when they are neither too green nor have started to have brown speckles on them), my just purchased bread from the store (No sacker boy/girl it doesn't go in the same sack as the milk!) actually I don't say this out loud - I just re sack it. Truely though which one is more rude? And then I have my issue with which towel in the kitchen to use for drying hands or drying dishes (I'm not such a freak any more about the bathroom towels!). And last but probably not least, someone else using "my" pillow.
Okay, that said, and you now having been allowed into my mind way more than I probably should have let you, here is my story about the modified banana muffin recipe:
When the bananas start to become brown, speckled around here, I peel them and put them in a zip-loc bag or small container, usually two at a time, and then place this in the freezer (my grandmother would never let a good piece of anything go to waste!). I can then use them to make banana bread/muffins whenever, No waiting for a "good" banana to go "bad"!!!
So this morning, I had two in the freezer and two on the counter. I had been wanting to make banana muffins since I had placed the two in the freezer several weeks ago. So, today was the day!!!
Then of course, I didn't want to just make my plain same ole' same ole' banana recipe. And, whenever I look for a different recipe on the internet, they are all basically the same. Truely though, what else can you do with a banana bread recipe?!?!?
Well, this is what I decided, and partly because I really wasn't sure if I had enough white flour. And of course, needing to not feel guilty about making something with sooooo much butter and sugar in it, maybe I could make these muffins healthier!!!
The original recipe was my Grammy's Banana Bread recipe but here are the things I changed: Instead of 1 c. sugar; I used 1/2 c. sugar and a 1/2 c. Splenda.
Instead of 2 c. white flour; I used 1 c. whole wheat flour, 1/4 c. wheat bran, and 1/4 c. ground flaxseed. Pampered Chef Sprinkles weren't on the original recipe, neither was the option about adding craisins or mini chocolate chips. I halved the batch and made half with sprinkles and craisins and half with sprinkles and mini chocolate chips!
I tried some different ingredients to change the recipe using brown sugar instead of granulated sugar, egg beaters instead of fresh eggs, applesauce instead of butter, etc. However, I thought my modified recipe was best. I was trying for a healthier muffin. But, that depends on if you are counting calories or carbs/sugars. Other ingredients you could use to get those veggies and anti-oxidents into your kiddos without them knowing are shredded or pured carrots or sweet potatoes, walnuts, fresh blueberries, raspberries, strawberries or blackberries.
Makes 24 regular size muffins
- 1 cup butter, unsalted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Splenda
- 4 bananas, mashed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 100% whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup wheat bran
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup Optional Ingredients: craisins, mini chocolate chips, walnuts, shredded or pured carrots or sweet potatoes, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries or raspberries
- Cream together butter and sugar. Add mashed bananas, soda and salt mixing well with wooden spoon or rubber scraper.
- Add flours, wheat bran and flax seed a 1/4 cup at a time mixing well with wooden spoon or rubber scraper.
- Using a wire whisk, whisk your eggs until beaten. Fold eggs in to above ingredients. At this time you will also fold in any of your optional ingredients. Remember to mix with a wooden spoon or rubber scraper until mixture is just moist, do not over mix.
- Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until tops are slightly golden and there is no batter in the middle when using a cake tester in middle muffin of muffin pan.
- Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer muffins to cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Enjoy as a traveling snack with a box of milk or 100% fruit juice. Healthy and tasty!!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
No-bake desserts are cool.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
The freedom to snack.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.