Author Notes: I have been making shortbreads for years. They are my favorite cookie, my favorite snack, my favorite tea and champagne companion. Every once in a while I throw in a spice or two to jazz them up. These are my shortbreads of the moment… - QueenSashy
Makes about 24 cookies
- 1 stick butter
- 1/4 cup cup turbinado sugar
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Beat the butter with sugar until creamy. Stir in the flour, salt, olive oil, cardamom and pepper. Mix on low speed until the dough comes together. Scrape the dough out onto a work surface and pat it into a log 1 1/4 inches in diameter. Wrap up the log in plastic wrap and refrigerate until very firm, about 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F convection (or 350°F regular bake). Slice the dough into 1/4 inch thick slices and arrange on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Prick the top of the shortbreads with a fork. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden. Slide the parchment onto a wire rack and let the shortbreads cool.
- The shortbreads can be kept in an airtight container for about a week.