If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These scarlet burgers can be served on top of grains or salad, eaten like latkes or falafel, or tucked into a bun. My favorite way to eat them is topped with yogurt, a fragrant mound of dill, and a simple chopped tomato and cucumber relish. The burger mixture can be made a day ahead and stored in the refrigerator. (This recipe is from The New Persian Kitchen by Louisa Shafia). - Louisa Shafia
Makes 8 burgers
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil, plus extra for searing
- 1 cup peeled and grated raw beets (approximately 1 small beet)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup cooked green lentils, rinsed and drained
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups cooked short-grain brown rice or white sushi rice, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- Slice the onion to a thickness of 1/4 inch. In a medium skillet, sauté the onion in the oil over medium-high heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until it starts to darken and caramelize. Turn down the heat slightly and add the beets along with the garlic, walnuts, raisins, and paprika, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Transfer the contents of the skillet to a food processor and pulse several times until chunky. In a large bowl, combine the onion mixture with the lentils, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Replace the food processor without washing and add the rice and egg, and pulse to form a coarse puree. Add the rice mixture to the onion-lentil mixture and mix well with your hands.
- Lightly oil your hands and divide the dough into 8 portions. Shape each portion into a patty just under 1 inch thick.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat and add oil to coat the bottom. Place the burgers in the skillet and cook undisturbed for 5 minutes. Gently flip the burgers and turn down the heat to low. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, until the burgers have a firm, brown crust. Serve hot with your favorite condiments.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.