Author Notes: My friend, Andrea, spends part of every summer with her grandparents in Greece. She still hasn't mastered the language, but has learned a thing or two about Greek cooking. This is her grandmother's ziziki recipe which, as far as I know, has never been written down before. Made with thick, creamy Greek yogurt, good olive oil and fresh Mediterranean herbs, the flavors will whisk you straight to a sun-drenched village overlooking the Aegean. - sarahkee
Makes 1 1/2 cups
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cucumber, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 small to medium lemon
- 3/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano or mint, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Stir all ingredients together in small bowl.
- Serve with vegetables, such as sliced cucumbers, carrots and cherry tomatoes, or with pita wedges.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack