If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This incredibly simple soup ticks all the boxes: easy, cheap, beautiful, bright and flavorful. It's one of my most requested soups both at work and and home. The key is not re-cooking the frozen peas, which are already blanched, preserving their natural flavor and vibrant green. The soup is delicate and sweet, and OH THAT COLOR! —lisina
- 2 pounds frozen peas
- 1 large yellow onion, roughly sliced or chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock (preferably homemade).
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- olive oil and salt as needed
- a few sprigs of herbs if desired (basil, dill and tarragon all work very nicely)
- Remove peas from the freezer so they can begin to thaw.
- In a heavy bottom soup pot, heat a a few glugs of olive oil. Add the onion and a sprinkle of salt and saute the onions until soft.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil. Add the peas and turn off the heat. Add enough water to just cover the peas.
- Ladle the soup into a blender in batches. Add the creme fraiche and the herbs if you are using them. Puree until very smooth, and pass through a fine mesh seive. If you're using a Vitamix or something equally strong, you can probably skip the seive.
- Check for seasoning.
- The soup is done! You can move it to the fridge to chill, or return it to the stove to bring it back up to temperature before serving. It's great both hot and cold.
We're obsessed with savory yogurt
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
DIY Nutter Butters.
Shop our new office.
How to make bouillabaisse.
Just shrub it off.