If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love freekeh, the supergrain made from green wheat. It has a slightly smoky flavor and a chewy texture that’s comparable to wheatberries. In the summer, I love to make salad with it. This salad is inspired by tabouli--it’s loaded with parsley and mint. Fennel adds crunch and its own unique flavor, and the dressing is orange juice-based, which pairs nicely with the salty feta cheese. I have this salad for lunch on a bed of chopped romaine, and sometimes add some sliced avocado or marinated artichoke hearts.
(If you can't get freekeh, you can make this with wheatberries or farro.)
Food52 Review: WHO: Drbabs is a optometrist, food lover, and avid home cook who grew up in New Orleans and now lives in Huntington, Long Island.
WHAT: Freekeh, an unsung grain, gets some time in the spotlight.
HOW: Boil up your freekeh, then toss with remaining ingredients. Eat it all week long, with gusto.
WHY WE LOVE IT: Drbabs knows you don't need to get freaky with freekeh: just keep it simple. With just some herbs, fennel, and acid, she transforms the grain into something we'll make over and over. Pack this up for a brown bag lunch, and make your colleagues jealous. —The Editors
Serves 4 to 6
For the Salad
- 1 cup freekeh, cooked according to package directions and drained well
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mint
- 1 small bulb fennel, minced (about 1/2 cup of minced fennel) Chop up the fronds if you have them, and add them in, too.
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts only, minced
- Zest of one orange
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped kalamata olives (optional)
For the Salad Dressing
- 1/3 cup fruity olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Toss salad ingredients together. Whisk together olive oil, orange juice and vinegar. Taste and adjust as desired. (I like tart dressings. You might prefer yours to be sweeter or milder.) Add dressing to the salad a little at a time, tossing until just coated. Taste, and add salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Is your cilantro contaminated?
It's time to travel.
Do this for better cold brew.