If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love using Mexican squash instead of Zucchini, for my taste it has more flavor or maybe I am just used to this kind of squash, which is mostly used in Eastern Europe. Here is one of the refreshing salads recipes which I make often on hot summer days and where even the squash is just sliced raw. This salad will be very tasty mixed with any grains or small pasta. —Kukla
Serves 4 to 6
- • 4 small very young Mexican Squash (about 1 pound or a little more), peeled, thinly sliced lengthwise and then cut in matchsticks size pieces
- • 2 medium size Persian cucumbers, peeled, thinly sliced lengthwise and then cut in matchsticks size pieces
- • 6 whole scallions, thinly sliced on bias
- • 1 red chille pepper, thinly sliced lengthwise
- • Zest of 1 large lemon + juice of 1/2 the lemon
- • 2 tablespoons of each fresh herbs (dill, cilantro, lovage or celery leaves), finely chopped
- • 3 tablespoons Pumpkin seeds (Pepitas), toasted in a dry skillet
- • 2 tablespoons oil of your choice (I used Sunflower seed oil)
- • About 1/2 to 3/4 cups Greek or French ships milk Feta, shredded on the large side of a box grater
- • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl combine squash, cucumber, Jalapeno and lemon juice; let stand and marinate for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- When ready to assemble, add scallions, herbs, lemon zest and Pepitas. Add oil, salt and pepper; mix well to combine all the ingredients. Transfer to a serving dish or individual plates and sprinkle with the shredded feta. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Scallions
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs
The Best Vegan Cookbook Tips
Better "bacon," tofu's texture, and more
The best vegan cookbook tips.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
It's time to travel.
Why you should be drinking tequila.
Put cake on a pedestal.