If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love kohlrabi and I recently experimented with grilling it with sliced lemon -- very tasty. But the real epiphany came the next morning when I mixed up the leftover kohlrabi with a tin of smoked trout in oil. The smokiness of the two ingredients melded together perfectly, the kohlrabi retained a satisfying crunch, and lemon and parsley brightened the whole dish. This salad is also very nice with celery leaves in place of the parsley. This would make a nice picnic dish, because it's not very perishable and the flavors improve as it sits. - Fairmount_market
Serves 2 to 4
- 1 medium kohlrabi
- Olive oil to coat the kohlrabi slices
- 1 large lemon
- 1 tin smoked trout in oil (110 grams)
- 1/2 cup flat parsley leaves, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Peel the kohlrabi generously with a pairing knife to remove all of the woody exterior and slice into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Rub with a little olive oil, then salt generously. Slice the lemon and stack the kohlrabi and lemon slices on top of each other.
- Heat a grill or a grill pan. Grill the kohlrabi and lemon slices until the kohlrabi is lightly chard and partially cooked, but still retains some crunch, and the lemon slices are lightly chard and soft. Remove from the grill and stack the lemon back on the kohlrabi. (These lemony kohlrabi slices make a nice vegetable side to grilled fish or meat, so make some extras, if you like, but 1 kohlrabi is the right amount for 1 tin of trout).
- Slice the kohlrabi into 1/4-inch strips and place in a serving bowl. Squeeze the grilled lemon in top of the kohlrabi and toss with the parsley leaves. Add the smoked trout and oil from the tin, break the trout into bite sized pieces with a fork, and toss again. Taste and add more salt if desire. Enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Grilled Vegetable Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
Egyptian Street Food at Home
Spend quality time with The Cairo Kitchen.
The Cairo Kitchen
Boost your Bagel
Fire up the grill.
Dipped Walnut Tongs
Portable picnic snacks.