Author Notes: This salad was created for a summer day trip - an adventure that included a long hike out through the woods to the edge of the sea. It needed to be something that didn't require refrigeration, could stand a little jostling, and would still taste amazing when we reached our destination. It definitely fits the bill, and we've used it again and again for summer excursions. - EatSimplyEatWell
Cook the Beluga Lentils
- 1 cup beluga lentils, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine the ingredients in a small pot. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer; and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove lentils from heat and drain through a fine-mesh sieve. Rinse thoroughly in cold water and shake the sieve a few times to remove excess moisture.
Prepare salad ingredients
- 3/4 cups loosely packed parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 medium red sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped
- juice of one lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- While the lentils cook, combine all remaining salad ingredients in a medium size bowl. Stir well to combine and let them sit until the lentils are ready.
- Add the drained, cooled lentils and toss a few times with a spoon to combine thoroughly. Enjoy!