If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These scones are quickly becoming a tradition in our house on Christmas morning. I love to make them because I can prepare the dough the day before and leave it in the fridge until the next morning. Then I just roll it out, cut and bake. The recipe has some flexibility to it, sometimes I use mini-chocolate chips or dried cherries instead of cinnamon chips. Other times I omit the sugar on top. It is fun to play with it a little to make the flavor your own. Note, in the picture above the scones are all different sizes because I make some small triangles for my daughter's little hands! - KelseyTheNaptimeChef
Serves 1 dozen triangle scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup cinnamon chips, or mini-chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3-4 tablespoons raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda into a large bowl. Add the orange zest and rub it together with some of the sugar to release the flavor. Add the butter pieces and work it into the dry ingredients with your (clean!) hands. Work until the dough is in pea size pieces.Toss cinnamon chips with a few pinches of flour, then add to the mixture in the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the heavy cream, yolk and vanilla. Slowly, pour this wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir until the dough comes together. It will be slightly sticky.
- AT THIS POINT DOUGH CAN BE WRAPPED IN PLASTIC AND PUT IN THE FRIDGE OVERNIGHT. When ready to bake, press dough into circle that is 1" thick. Cut into triangles like you are cutting a pie. Brush the top of each scone with milk and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Place triangles on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
What's In, What's Out
What we're obsessed with, and what we're not.
What's in, what's out.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Wedding registry must haves.