If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Back in college, blueberry buckle was my favorite cafeteria breakfast treat. So when my husband and I picked one-and-a-half gallons of berries about an hour south of our Nashville home recently, recreating that buckle was on my mind. I took a version from A family Feast and swapped in more nutritional options like einkorn flour, coconut sugar, kefir, and coconut oil. The result was even better than my memories. —FoodLovesWriting
Makes 9 to 12 servings
for the cake:
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup plain full-fat kefir
- 2 cups einkorn flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (or frozen might work)
for the topping:
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup einkorn flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup salted butter, cold and cubed
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Butter and flour an 8X8 square pan and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup coconut sugar with 1/4 cup coconut oil. Add the egg and blend. Add the water and the kefir, and blend.
- In a separate bowl, mix einkorn flour, baking powder, and salt. Add this dry mixture to the large bowl of wet ingredients, and mix until well combined. Fold in the blueberries.
- Spread the blueberry batter into the prepared pan, and spread evenly.
- In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients (coconut sugar, einkorn flour, cinnamon, and cubed butter). Sprinkle these toppings all over the pan of blueberry batter.
- Bake buckle for 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the cake mixture comes out clean.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Buckle, Slump, Grunt, Crumble, Cobbler, Crisp, Sonker, Pandowdy, and/or Betty
The New Food52 Office
A space that makes you want to come to work
The new Food52 office.
Freestyle berry jam.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.
Lemonade, sans recipe.