If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I am a huge fan of chicken wings, although I am not a big fan of Buffalo wings. I think the best part of the chicken outside of the two oysters is the wing. Wings have loads of flavor and lots of crispy skin. It is a good ratio. I have adapted a recipe from Naomi Duguid's Burma book and made her Shallot Lime Chutney into a marinade/salsa combo. It works well and I really like the way the shallots get all schmaltzie when they cook in the chicken fat. - thirschfeld
- 24 chicken wings
- 1 cup shallots, minced or chopped in a food processor
- 2 red Fresno chile or other hot chile, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Lime wedges for the table
- Extra cilantro
- Salt or fish sauce
- 1/4 cup Lime juice
- Rinse the wings and pat them dry. Take each wing and fold the tip up and over the drumette to form a triangle.
- Take two skewers and holding them a 1/4 to 1/2 inch apart spear the wings through the two bones that form middle portion (tip, middle, drumette) of the wing. Then push the skewers through the drumette as close to the bone as you can.
- Season the wings with salt. Let them sit until the salt is absorbed by the wings. You can do this up to 24 hours in advance letting the wings rest uncovered in the fridge.
- To make the salsa combine the shallots, chile, cilantro, lime juice and salt or fish sauce. Let this mixture sit for 10 minutes. Add the oil and combine.
- Ready your grill for direct high heat grilling, or turn your oven to 400 degrees. When the coals are hot grill the wings, brush on the marinade as you go unless you marinated in advance and then you don't need to.
- Grill the wings until they are good and caramelized. Then remove the wings from the grill to a sheet tray with sides. Coat the wings with the remaining salsa and cook them until the wings are tender or the salsa has lost its raw taste.
- Place the wings on a platter and pour the pan juices over the wings and scrape off any and all bits of shallot onto the wings. Top with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Berti Foraging Knife
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.