If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This quinoa is quin-WOW! If you haven’t tried this nutty, full-flavored complete protein, get ready to love it. This salad, simply dressed with buttermilk, olive oil and orange juice, combines the sweetness of dried fruits with green onions and crunchy cholesterol lowering almonds. Makes a meatless main or substantial side dish. —Susan E. Levy
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- ? cups sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions (about one bunch)
- ½ cups dried cherries*, chopped / * May substitute chopped apricots, cranberries or raisins
- ½ cups chopped parsley
For the dressing
- ¼ cups orange juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoons salt, optional
- ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- Place quinoa and broth in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat; simmer 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, place almonds in a small pan over medium heat and toss until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl until well blended.
- While the quinoa is still warm, stir in the green onions, cherries, parsley, and almonds, then toss with the dressing and serve.
- Per serving: 262 calories, 8g protein, 39g carbohydrate, 9g fat, 1g sat fat, 5g mono fat, 0mg cholesterol, 3g fiber, 44mg sodium (with optional salt: 141mg sodium)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Quinoa Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
The Great Outdoors
Camping foods you'll want s'more of
The best camping foods.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.