If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This light, creamy little salad comes together easily, but feeds a crowd and makes for perfect beach/picnic eats. The tahini-based dressing keeps the salad light, and the lack of dairy means that it both travels and keeps well.
Both the cabbage and kale actually benefit from an early prep, so dress the greens at least 30 minutes prior to serving. If possible, prepare the salad a few hours ahead of time and let it sit, as the flavors will meld together over time. If you'd like, stir in the hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, and the two types of tomatoes just before serving to preserve a nice texture to the salad.
I used all organic vegetables and seeds when making this salad. —Maja Lukic - Veggies & Gin
Food52 Review: I was a little nervous about this as I was mixing and tasting -- alone, the dressing was a bit sharp tasting and overly 'nutritional yeasty.' Together, however...that's another story! It definitely works. Next time I'll add something sweet -- like chopped apricots or figs -- for a sweet-savory take on the dish. As for my leftovers, they're going into a wrap with fresh mozzarella cheese and chickpeas. —wrobkymb
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale (preferably organic), stems removed and sliced into 1-inch ribbons
- 1/2 Savoy cabbage, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon shelled hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons raw shelled sunflower seeds
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons organic raw tahini
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar (such as Bragg)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 6 tablespoons water
- Sea salt, to taste
- First, prepare the dressing by whisking all of the ingredients together. Season with salt to taste, but note that the nutritional yeast alone can make the dressing quite salty.
- At this point, dress the shredded kale, cabbage, and bell pepper and let the salad sit for about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the cherry tomatoes and the sun-dried tomatoes and measure your other ingredients.
- Stir the tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes into the salad and toss.
- Season to taste with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Top with sunflower seeds and hemp seeds. Serve immediately, or cover and store in the fridge for later use.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.