If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I feel like collard greens are't allowed the diversity of preparations that so many other vegetables are. While there is nothing wrong with stewing them for hours and serving them with potlikker I think they could brach out. And certainly when I was given several large bunches of them in my CSA box I had to think of something else. They could easily be adapted to be prepared vegan. - Summer of Eggplant
- 8-10 Large collard leaves
- 4 cups thinly sliced Napa cabbage
- 2 carrots, peeld and shredded
- 1/4 cup peanuts, toasted and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs such as mint, cilantro, basil
Prik Nam Pla (Fish Sauce with Chiles - adapted from Hot Sour Salty Sweet)
- 1 cup fish sauce
- 1/2 cup dried bird chiles - chopped in a mini food processor
- Toast the peanuts.
- Make the sauce by combining the two ingredients in a jar or bowl.
- Blanch the collard leaves in boiling water for 15 minutes, then refresh under cold water and pat dry.
- Remove the thick part of the stem. I did this by removing the tough part of the stalk then to get the rest of it but to keep a good part of the leaf I made a small triangular shaped cut chopping out the thicker part of the stalk but leaving the leaves.
- Toss the cabbage with 2 tbs. spoons of the sauce.
- Lay out a collard leaf with cut end facing towards you. Starting near this side, layer the ingredients, starting with cabbage, then the herbs, carrots and topped with the peanuts. Roll the leaf by pulling the two ends over the mound, then pull in the sides, pull tightly and roll. Serve with more prik nam pla or a sweet chili sauce, such as Mae Ploy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
Have a Brew-ti-ful Day
Shop our newest caffeinated collection.
Everything you need for coffee and tea.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
The final step to a genius dinner party.
A list of things we like.
Add flower power to your espresso.